Nine-arch bridge

Hardly was the stone-bridge finished, it inspired songs. It is so well placed that the Hortobágy cannot be imagined without it. Its constructor, Ferenc Povolny based his name in Hungarian bridge-building with this creation. The bridge finished in 1833 is the longest and the most beautiful stone-bridge of Hungary. Its full length is 167.3 meters, the body of the bridge is 92.13 meters long. The stones were brought from Tokaj to Tiszacsege on the Tisza and from there it was transported by wagons to the location. The 400,000 bricks necessary to the bridge were burnt by wood brought from the Oak-wood of Ohat.

The most important road between Transylvania and Pest-Buda, that had been an important commercial road from the Middle Ages, crossed the river Hortobágy here. The development of Debrecen increased the importance of this road in salt-transportation and cattle-trading. A wooden bridge had always been here before, where toll was also taken. Documents refer to it from 14th century. The totally renovated bridge in 1702 was made of wood. The council of Debrecen decided to build a stone-bridge in 1827, which was finished six years later.

There are several legends about the bridge. One of the most famous outlaws, Sándor Rózsa bibed in the Hortobágy Inn when the police enclosed the inn. By this time he jumped to his horse to get across the river but then still wasn’t a bridge over it. To see this situation, 9 lovers of him falled on neck each other to help Sándor, to escape.This is the most popular legend about the bridge.

Aprroach: 

4071 Hortobágy, Petőfi tér

GPS: 47.5822816, 21.1489723

Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out Loud Screen Reader Support